Monday, March 06, 2006

The Things I Learned from Oscar

Obviously I would be making a post about the observations I took during last night's Oscars....

MY FAVORITE MOMENTS AND LIFE LESSONS:
1. Ben Mulroney is annoying and akward "I'm Ben from Canada"..."Say 'hi' to Canada"...Ben, stop embarassing Canada!
2. The fact that about 60% of the red carpet interviews made me feel uncomfortable...one in particular with Jamie Foxx, who talked about bowling, and apparently longer than the interviewer wanted him to.
3. Ben Stiller is funnier than his dad...and looks simply amazing in a unitard
4. Unitard is a great, under utilized word
5. When the flash to your wife in the audience, thank her....unlike some guy no one knows, (or really card about what he had to say) did during his acceptance speech
6. Point number five leads me nicely into #6....which is....IF I DON'T KNOW YOU, KEEP IT SHORT....if no one at home knows who you are, then you have really have a very great speech...we will tolerate boring speeches for actors we recognize....but NOT you, sound byte guy.
7. J-Lo's arms are quickly gaining on her ass in size demsions
8. Can someone explain to me why they flashed to Morgan Freeman while the guys were accepting their award for March of the Penguins...and then put the spotlight on him?! What does Morgan Freeman have to do with penguins?
9. The guy who looks at his family and says "go kiwis".......what???
10. Meryl Streep and Lilly Tomlin....nicely done ladies
11. We were almost lucky enough to have someone fall...and I really thought, after Jennifer Garner had a very big wobble, almost tripping on her dress. Although watching how red her face got afterwards was somewhat satisfying....I really would have been complete had they flashed to JLo in her seat watching that happen.
12. Actors...of the male gender in particular....really age.

BEST SPEECHES:
1. The lady who thanked the Academy for sitting her next to George Clooney during the nomination luncheon
2. The foreign flim guys speech tugged at my heart strings a little bit
3. George Clooney, the first speech of the night, definitely got a few chuckles out of me...I would imagine there's some pressure to be the first acceptance speech of the night, and he did a good job
4. Obvioiusly Reese Witherspoon had a very sincere and heartfelt speech, very nice to see, and was exactly what I would expect from the country girl
5. The Three 6 Mafia were definitely the most excited, and surprised, to be up there giving an acceptance speech...I loved it!! Mind you, I couldn't understand I word they were mumbling and yelling into the microphone....it was very entertaining, and I was extremely happy they picked up the prize for that.

THE WORST SPEECHES
1. The exact opposite of the Three 6 Mafia speech was the one given by some biotch who won for best adapted screen play (for Brokeback Mountain).....she got up there and looked like it was a painful chore for her to be there and accept that award...and not painful in the way she was just so nervous...but that she was simply way above an award like this......she didn't crack a smile, she sighed and went on like the whole process was just exhausting her. I was just sitting, hoping, waiting for someone to come up to her, grab that oscar out of her hand and club her across the face with it....I now hate hate hate this woman.
2. Any speech that was given by someone I didn't recognize (eg. sound editing, costume design, etc).....BOOOORRRRRINNNGGG.

BEST DRESSES:
1. Keira Knightly probably took my best dressed shout out
2. Felicity Huffman's dress was hot
3. Michelle Williams is one of few people that could wear a canary yellow dress and look beautiful in it.
4. Uma Thurman....there was something very simple and elegant and soft about that dress, that made it a toss up for best dress of the night (sharing the honor with Keira Knightly)
5. Reese Witherspoons....i wasn't sure how I felt about it...I could have easily put it in this category, or the worst dressed
The honorable mention goes to Jennifer Aniston..

WORST DRESSES:
1. Charlize Theron...the sickness of the giant bow on her shoulder was diminished only from the sickness of her hair
2. The same above, goes for Jennifer Lopez...ick....you have such nice hair, don't slick it back with a pound of grease..then wear a barfy green dress...what's wrong with you?!
3. Selma Hyek...that dress made one boob look way bigger than the other...that's not a quality I look for in a dress...

Comments??

7 Comments:

Blogger lil_k said...

Morgan Freeman narrated March of the Penguins.

I liked the opposite dresses as you.....wasn't a fan of Keira's but maybe it's just because I hate purple....and I thought Charlize looked stunning.

1:18 PM  
Blogger lil_k said...

My blog is BROKEN the day after the Oscars!

1:20 PM  
Blogger J-Dub said...

Great Post. Just some general comments.

I found a great majority of the Ocsar pre show crap, painful and irritating, completely filled with idiotic questions and interviewers that interrupt. If they weren't going to let people talk, they should have had Oprah do it.

Funniest moment for me was definately the two old broads...aka Merryl and Lily..FUCK them gals got it going on. Loved George, who held up under pressure, a smart ass as always. Stewart was smart sexy and unforgiving when necessary. Jen-G..Benifer, have a nice trip, see ya next fall - Garner. FUCK that was the bomb...and nice boobs! Michelle Williams and Heath Ledger are BOTH socially retarded and I hated that tweety bird dress, but at least they found each other. Charlize, man I was so disappointed in her normally flawless atire, she grew a friggin hump. J-Lo slick back and ugly man Mark are just idiots. And I hate to say it but I am SO unbelieveably sick of Felicity Huffman, I am DESPERATE for her to go away.

No standouts really I would give the show a good solid 7.5. Except for John S who was a 8.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Rockabella said...

Lil'K...are you possibly being punished for something horrible you may have done in a past life? Because I really think taking your medium of expression away on a day when EVERYONE comments on behavoir and appearances of celebs could possibly a mild form of torture for you.

I am VERY surprised in our opposite taste in dresses. That being said, I thought Keira's night was chocolate
brown....
But I cannot agree with you on Charlize...maybe it's my total hatred for giant bows on dresses, or the fact that I think she is the most beautiful woman to walk the earth and she resides on a beauty pedastol that is unfair.....but that hair and the bow....not a fan.

1:54 PM  
Blogger mark said...

I agree with you on the dresses, Amy. That living tumor Charlize Theron had combined with the fucking ripped-to-sheds flesh color number Naomi Watts had on made me wonder if aliens had invaded.

However, I'm just so over the Oscars after watching them award fucking Crash the best movie award. When two white people go onstage to congratulate themselves for ending racism with "the truth" in the form of an hour-and-a-half movie that is more excited with and exploitative of it's own premise than basically anything I have ever seen, AND stars Sandra Bullock (and yes, I love comedy Bullock, but drama Bullock and I are not BFF) and Brendan fucking Fraiser, there is something incredibly wrong.

Side note: my login word is totally "vagie."

12:01 AM  
Blogger mark said...

And, Amy, I say that about Trash despite my chagrin at the fact that you and I obviously disagree on this one. What happened to our symbiotic love of things? I'm so sad and lonely.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Rockabella said...

Oh Chewy...don't be sad. We will always have VM..and Charlize Theron's ugly dress. And although I'm not totally persuaded to download the robots that look like people show, I haven't decided it against it either.
Every once and a while, even people who will share an intense love for the wonderful world of televison and pop culture, will disagree on SOMETHING. Plus, if it makes you feel any better, I will agree with you totally on the Brendan Fraser thing....and about....79% with the Sandra Bullock comment too.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home