Sunday, March 05, 2006

Oscar...more than just a garbage can grouch on Sesame St.

So tonight's the night....red carpet, fancy outfits, crazy speeches, and if we are lucky maybe even a trip up the aisle or something.
This afternoon I went out to get all my essentials I need for Oscar night: Ben and Jerry's Half Baked icecream, peanut butter M&M's, salt and vinager Stacked Lays, Timmy Ho's creamy vanilla yogurt and berries, ready to go microwavable popcorn, and Chewy Chips Ahoy chocolate chip cookies....and my favorite pajammas are already laid out on my bed.
I thought that I would enlighten you all with my picks for the big winners of the evening, and I encourage everyone to leave their picks as well.

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE: Philip Seymour Hoffman - Capote...this man has gone unrecognized for way way way too long...and anyone who can act in a whole movie with that accent and not slip up or laugh, is quite the actor in my eyes.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Jake Gyllenhaal - Brokeback Mountain.....he's unbelivably smokin hot, and he convincingly made out with Heath Ledger....give the boy a prize already!

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE: Reese Witherspoon - Walk the Line....this one was tough because I think all the nominees are deserving...however, Reese is so friggin cute, and I'd like to see her get recognized for a more serious actress instead of a legally blonde girly. That being said...if Felicity Huffman won, I'd clap just as loudly.

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE: Amy Adams - Junebug...I will admit I have not yet seen this movie, although I've passed it many times at my local Blockbuster and wanted to take it home with me....I am still voting for her because, obviously, her name is Amy, and I just can't argue with that...plus, I will always see Michelle Williams as that menacing girl nextdoor, Jen from the Creek.

ANIMATED FEATURE: The Corpse Bride - that movie just visually pretty and I enjoyed it a lot

CINAMETOGRAPHY: Memoirs of a Geisha...again, I haven't seen this movie YET (though I did read the book!) and although Brokeback Mountain had extremely beautiful scenary...it was nature...I don't think movie people had much to do with Canada's naturally beautiful landscapes, so I'm not going to give them the prize for it. I think Chronic-what-cles of Narnia should be in this category if you ask me...which apparently no one did.

COSTUME DESIGN: Mrs. Henderson Presents....which funny enough is, in a very basic sense, about NUDE dancers hehe

DIRECTING: Crash...no questions or explainations needed if you've seen the movie

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE: March of the Penguins...haven't seen it yet, but it's basically the only one on the list I've 1)heard of and 2) actually do want to see

MUSIC: It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp - Hustle and Flow...becuase I can't get this chorus out of my head for weeks....

WRITING (ADAPTED): Brokeback Mountain....or...Constant Gardner.....I'm at a total toss up.

WRITING (ORIGINAL): Crash...to pull all those stories together to deliver a message as strong as that one...wow.

and the big one.....

BEST PICTURE: Crash...one of the most powerful movies I've seen in a very very (possibly ever) long time.....


P.S. Jon....I know already that you are going to be the highlight of my Oscar night

2 Comments:

Blogger Rockabella said...

9 out of 13 picks...yeah, not that bad.

stay tuned for some of my Oscar Notes...coming soon to a blog near you.

12:37 AM  
Blogger J-Dub said...

For the first time in many many years I staryed up for about 95% of the show, at 12:05 I got bored waiting for best picture and director and fell asleep. I am heartbroken that Jakeie poo didn't win BUT I find solace in the Lovely Mrs Witherspoon Phillipes' win. Her speech was sincere and heartfelt, and filled with nervousness which I LOVED cause she really wasn't expecting it. ALL and ALL the highlight for me was definately John Stewart who did a bang up job, hilarious, and smart as usual! WAY TO GO Johnny!

Too bad for Brokeback though....

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home