Tuesday, January 18, 2005

E.F.

For all of you who may not be familiar with the term EF.... it stands for Embarrassed For. I know that you all must have had it at one time in your life, and tonight I had the pleasure of experiencing it twice in the matter of a half hour. For those who may be unsure as to whether or not they have had the EF's let me break it down for you in two classic examples. I had a class tonight, in which my professor is a prosecutor. Now this man has said on several occasions "Do not tell me your legal problems as I can give you no advice." Disregarding this one girl rose her hand and proceeded to tell him of an incident she recently had. Basically this was the story that never ended and through out it my EF level rose. Basically she was robbed at a club in Niagra falls, the bouncer wouldn't help her, the police left her stranded on the street, the 991 operator even hung up on her. But I did not feel sorry for her...rather i was embarassed for her. My face got red, I started to laugh a little the girl next to me nudged me and said, "wow I feel embarassed for her" the feeling through out the class was evident.
Now it is important to note that EF is not confined to others words, but extends to their actions as well. It is cold here, that means dress warm. I was waiting for the bus after class and a girl came out dressed in a 3/4 length sleved shirt. She had to be cold...people were staringat her, myself included. During my staring I noticed that she had a cast on her wrist...now I could have felt bad for her, but I was over come by the EF's. Should could have found atleast a sweatshirt to go over that! I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach. It was not pleasantI encourage you to write and share any EF moments that you have had.
The moral of the story is, please, when deciding on what to do or what to say take into consideration feelings of others. You don't want people to be embarassed for you, it's even worse than feeling embarassed for your self.

11 Comments:

Blogger Rockabella said...

All I have to say about EF.....and anyone who watched American Idol this evening knows exactly what I'm talkin about......MARY ROACH.....oh sorry....her "Hollywood" name is Mary GILBEAUX.......now there is some serious EF....ouch

11:09 PM  
Blogger mark said...

I actually find it hard to get the EF on for somebody so obviosuly self-possessed as she - or, really, anybody on American Idol. You know, since they are each and every one fame whores and because it is apparently on 76 times a day. And messing with my sacred Degrassi schedule. Wait - did I just say that? Um - who's gonna get their EF on for me?

1:19 AM  
Blogger J-Dub said...

I too, get the EF for on a regular basis. There are severel people in my office that I would like to take aside, beat frequently a-top their melons and tell them that less is more...but I digress..

The American Idols are a particular group that give me this feeling. I frequently turn the channel to aviod eye contact with the TV. However last night during a visit with the Rents (both of which LOVE the Idol) I expressed my feelings of EF to my Dad, who replied "screw that, I'm not embarassed for them, the Losers" Ok thanks for that ever so sympathetic view Daddy-O. So since I ALWAYS do what my parents tell me, I am no longer EF the Idols....I feel ever so free now

Also Mark...Degrassi is nothing to be ashamed of...Love for the Canadian Melodrama is a part of your heritage and should be embraced...I will be watching with bated breath over the next month as MY MAN Kevin Smith makes a few appearances...can you see it now, the love triangle between Silent Bob, Joey and Caitlyn....FUCK I LOVE Canada!!!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Rockabella said...

I'm still all about the EF.....one of the reasons Meet the Parents made me feel so uncomfortable...and why I it makes me nervous to go see Meet the Fockers....which I can never pronounce correctly and don't even try to anymore and simply say Fuckers....in fact, it makes me feel good

12:07 PM  
Blogger Duff said...

First of all...I frequently get a case of the EFs. Yes it is a common feeling through the torturous viewing of American Idol, but I am not ashamed of saying that I am addicted to the show.
Secondly, I am now well aware of the wrath of the Efs sent in my own direction. It is -29 degrees Celcius today and I was determined to not be one of those people who sacrifices fashion for warmth. I got a hat from the bf's (not Marty) parents 2 years ago fo xmas. It is made for a granola, pumpkin head. I wore it though for the 1st time today because my brain needs as much protection as it can get. I got many Ef looks from everybody and most avoided eye contact. Needless to say, I plan to save everyone the embarassment....and never where that hat again.

1:35 PM  
Blogger The Real Bubbles said...

I don't think that those "words of wisdom" are ones that i will pass on to my offspring. I was trying to be a little sarcastic.....guess it didn't work!
I'll try harder next time

8:06 PM  
Blogger J-Dub said...

Don't wanna say I told you so, but I did...didn't I gangle.... LOL

8:15 PM  
Blogger Rockabella said...

yeah...i'm not scared to say it....i'm superficial and totally care what people thing....and i am a firm believer that in some aspect of everyone's lives, we all take into consideration how we protray ourselves to others. and not only do i care about how i look to other people....but i like to laugh at people don't look right to me....and sometimes i even point at them while i'm laughing.....this list could include fat people, ugly people, smelly people, people who dress funny, walk funny talk funny......uhmmm.....i'm sure there's more....and i would fully expect the same response from others when the situations arise. so lets all just admit that in some form or another, we judge people....it's what we do...and in my case, it's what i do best.....

11:42 PM  
Blogger mark said...

I'm waiting with baited breath for Marco (or, rather, the actor who plays him) to enroll in one of my classes at York. Then I can totally lamely make Degrassi jokes about everything that ever happened in American history, and my entire class can feel the ole' EF for me.

Sample lecture? "So - Loving v. Virginia? Well - remember that episode of the original Degrassi where Michelle's father didn't like BLT? Okay - that's a good start..."

2:20 AM  
Blogger J-Dub said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:12 AM  
Blogger J-Dub said...

Ahhh Memories, thanks for that Mark

and I too am superficial Rocka...but I'm still nice and stuff, right guys...right!! you still like me right!!!

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home